Image courtesy of Smart Growth America
Coalition Brownfields Inventory and Assessment Program
What is a Brownfield?
A brownfield is a property, of which the expansion, redevelopment, or reuse may be complicated by the presence, or potential presence, of a hazardous substance, pollutant, or contaminant. It is estimated that there are more than 450,000 brownfields in the U.S. Cleaning up and reinvesting in these properties increases local tax bases, facilitates job growth, utilizes existing infrastructure, takes development pressures off of undeveloped, open land, and both improves and protects the environment.
The above information is from the United States Environmental Protection Agency.
For more information on brownfields:
EPA Brownfield Site – https://www.epa.gov/brownfields/overview-epas-brownfields-program
Funding to complete a Brownfield Community Wide Assessment was received from EPA in October 2017. Coalition partners include the City of Medford, City of Central Point, City of Grants Pass, and Jackson County.
The program will look at sites that may be contaminated by petroleum or hazardous materials. Any site, public or private, is eligible for consideration. Funding from EPA will allow the program to:
- Inventory and prioritize brownfield sites
- Conduct Phase I and Phase II Environmental Site Assessments
- Complete site-specific clean-up or re-use plans
- Complete area wide planning (AWP) activities in focus areas
- Provide public outreach on the project and get community input on priorities through a Brownfields Advisory Committee
Project Updates and Products
Public Involvement Plan (Draft)
Site Nomination Form – Public and Private Properties
- Nine coalition meetings have been held (december 2017-April 2019).
- Inventory work completed for focus areas.
- Public Involvement Plan, Site Nomination Form, and other deliverables completed.
- Quarterly report submitted to EPA.
- Brownfields Advisory Committee (BAC) held on June 13th, 2018.
- Field visit with EPA and DEQ in August 2018.
- Public meetings held in September 2018 in Grants Pass and Medford.
- Class held with Rogue Valley Realtors in September 2018.
- 7 Phase I Environmental Site Assessments (ESAs) and 6 Phase II ESAs have been approved by the coalition and are in various stages of completion.
Upcoming Meetings and Events:
Coalition Meeting 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. at RVCOG -Wednesday, October 29th, 2019
General Information and Resources
To learn more about brownfields, click on the links and videos below:
Video on brownfields and the Eugene-Springfield-Lane County Coalition: