In this activity, we will explore what happens to the water after it rains and where it goes if it does not soak into the ground (the ground acts as a sponge and a filter). Water that does not go into the ground and leaves an area is known as urban runoff or stormwater.
What we will explore and questions to answer include:
- What do I have around my neighborhood that might create (generate) stormwater?
- If stormwater is just rain or snow, is it bad?
- Does stormwater go to the treatment plant?
- What is my storm drain connected to?
- Is something being done to manage stormwater?
- Am I Stream Smart?
Click on the picture below for a slideshow discussing the activity.