Image courtesy of Smart Growth America
Coalition Brownfields Inventory and Assessment Program
What is a Brownfield?
A brownfield is a property, the expansion, redevelopment, or reuse of which may be complicated by the presence or potential presence of a hazardous substance, pollutant, or contaminant. It is estimated that there are more than 450,000 brownfields in the U.S. Cleaning up and reinvesting in these properties increases local tax bases, facilitates job growth, utilizes existing infrastructure, takes development pressures off of undeveloped, open land, and both improves and protects the environment. Information from the United States Environmental Protection Agency.
For more information on brownfields:
Rogue Valley Coalition
Funding to complete a Brownfield Community Wide Assessment was received from EPA in October 2017. Coalition partners include the City of Medford, City of Central Point, City of Grants Pass, and Jackson County.
The program will look at sites that may be contaminated by petroleum or hazardous materials. Any site, public or private, is eligible for consideration. Funding from EPA will allow the program to:
- Inventory and prioritize brownfield sites
- Conduct Phase I and Phase II Environmental Site Assessments
- Complete site-specific clean up or re-use plans
- Complete area wide planning (AWP) activities in focus areas
- Provide public outreach on the project and get community input on priorities through a Brownsfield Advisory Committee
Project Updates and Products
Public Involvement Plan (Draft)
- Coalition meetings were held in December 2017, January 2018, March 2018, and April 2018.
- Inventory work completed for to 2 of 3 focus areas (drafts under review).
- Draft Public Involvement Plan, Site Nomination Form, and other deliverables completed.
- Quarterly report submitted to EPA through December 2017.
- Brownfields Advisory Committee (B.A.C.) kick-off meeting scheduled for June 13th.
Upcoming Meetings and Events:
Brownfields Advisory Committee Meeting – Wednesday, June 13th, 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm in the Adams Room at the Medford Library
General Information and Resources
To learn more about Brownfields and Brownfields, click on the links and videos below.
Video on Brownfields and the Eugene-Springfield-Lane County Coalition